Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Poetry

It used to be a little known fact, but more and more people have come to find out that I am a big fan of reading and writing poetry. Ok, mostly writing since I'm too lazy to look for poems to read. However, the poetry class I took last quarter was awesome since it introduced me to many new ways of writing poems through reading various styles of poetry.

What makes poetry so great are all the interesting things that make it up. The subject matter, the structure of the poem, the rhyme scheme, the meter, the rhythm...all (and more) come together to form a poem. Also, you can interpret a poem however you want, though usually the poet will have his or her own intended meaning. It's because of all of these things that I enjoy writing poetry.

I like to write because it's my way of expressing myself. Some people draw, paint, play instruments, sing...I write poetry. I've been at it for a while, sort of. I began writing in middle school, then I stopped for a while and resumed late in high school. I don't write as often as I would like, so I'm not really good. I just enjoy it.

Most of the poems I write are...love poems. Yeah, I said it. Love poems. My biggest inspirations are Shakespeare and Lord Byron (surprise). Not all of them are though. I want to try writing other kinds of poetry more, but we'll see what happens with that. I like to make my poems rhyme, but I'm not adverse to prose-poems or straight up prose. I don't pay too much attention to the rhythm and meter, mostly because it would take me forever to write a poem if I did. I also usually don't come right out and say what I'm feeling: I use imagery and other poetic devices to express it, though I'm not against writing exactly what I'm feeling in a not so round-a-bout fashion.

I will do my best to share some of the new poems that I write on here. Depends on how I feel about the poem. Since I should be doing some homework but I don't want to leave all of you hanging, here are two untitled poems I wrote a while back:

The sun sets with scant clouds in the sky,
Leaving you feeling euphoric, a natural high.
With night coming to life and day about to die,
Light is left for the moon and stars to supply.



It would be sweeter still to taste the cloaked one’s kiss
than to continue on in immense anguish like this.
Yet I’m not ready to commit, I must stay here
to see my outcome, for it may not be what I fear.

I'd be interested in reading all of your interpretations of these poems. Good night, everyone. Love yyyyyaaaaaaaallllllllllllll!

No comments:

Post a Comment